Nursing Home Ratings: Our Rating System
Our Nursing Home Rating System
My Caring Plan gathers from sources across the web to give you nursing home ratings across the nation. My Caring Plan’s goal is to have one place you can go to find all the information you need to find the best care for your loved one. Start your search.
Our Nursing Home Data Sources
Nursing Home Compare:
Our primary data source is Nursing Home Compare from the Medicare.gov website. Nursing Home Compare gathers tens of thousands of data points on nursing homes across the country.
Our Nursing Home Rating Metrics
Health and Fire Safety Rating
These ratings are conducted roughly once a year but are performed more regularly if the nursing home isn’t meeting certain expectations.
Generally, the inspection rating considers the following and more
- The care of residents and the processes used to give that care
- How the staff and residents interact
- The nursing home environment
Sometimes interviews are even conducted of the health staff, the residents, and the resident’s families.
The fire inspection considers aspects such as building design, construction, and the home’s ability to protect against electrical failures, gas leaks, and more.
Complaints and Citations
The government sometimes will investigate specific facilities if complaints are given. These inspections can lead to citations. Citations are issued when certain aspects of the nursing home do not meet government standards.
The staffing rating considers the following positions
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Registered Nurses are responsible for the overall delivery of care to residents. Responsibilities include monitoring, recording, and reporting symptoms changes. Nursing homes must have at least one RN for eight hours a day, seven days a week.
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) and Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN)
- These are assistants to the registered nurse that help them conduct overall care for residents. Generally, these nurses have less formal training than registered nurses but more than nurse aides.
- Nurse Aides
- Work under registered nurses and provide help with bathing, grooming, dressing, transferring, and more. Nurse aides must go through an evaluation program within four months of employment.
- Physical Therapist (PT)
- Physical therapists work on helping residents improve mobility and strength. They can be extremely helpful in assisting residents in gaining back their independence. Physical therapists must go through extended education after college.
Quality ratings consider both long-term and short-term stays. You can find information on both types of stays on My Caring Plan.
Penalties and Fines
Fines and created when citations are made or when a citation is not corrected. Sometimes a payment denial can occur when the government refuses to pay Medicare or Medicaid to the nursing home. If the nursing home continues to fail to meet expectations, then certification can be taken away.
An abuse indicator has been added recently to the nursing home compare data source. This indicator shows when a nursing home has been cited for abuse.
SFF or Special Focus Facility are nursing homes that have more problems than other homes. Generally, these facilities continue to have issues that either keep coming up or a more significant number of problems overall. After 18-24 months, there are three outcomes of a nursing home that has been designated an SFF.
- The nursing home improves and comes off of SFF
- Medicare and Medicaid stop payments to the nursing home
- The nursing home continues to be assigned SFF for a more extended period as progress is shown, but there are still improvements to be made
- Nursing homes including rehab services, CMS.gov, data.cms.gov
65 Going Away Gift Ideas For Friends and Family
When a loved one, neighbor, coworker or friend is moving away, it can be tough to find the right going away gift. You want something that is meaningful and shows how much you care, but you also don’t want to spend a fortune. That’s why we have put together this list of 65 unique going …
65 Going Away Gift Ideas For Friends and Family Read More »
25 Ways to Say “I Hope You Feel Better”
When someone we care about is feeling under the weather, the last thing we want to do is make them feel worse. That’s why it’s important to know a variety of ways to say “I hope you feel better.” In this blog post, we will explore 100 different ways that you can show your loved …
25 Ways to Say “I Hope You Feel Better” Read More »
Home repairs for senior citizens
There’s no place like home. As seniors grow old, they often want to age in place in their family home. However, keeping up a house can sometimes require more maintenance and repairs than planned. In particular, seniors are more vulnerable physically and financially, making home repairs potentially difficult to do and pay for. Luckily, seniors …
Home repairs for senior citizens Read More »