All seniors deserve to age with dignity. To get housing, caregiving, healthcare and more, seniors may need support and information. In the spirit of sharing helpful resources for seniors, we’ve put together a list of links for seniors and caregivers. Here you’ll find a diverse range of resources for seniors that cover the main concerns and topics of aging. We hope it helps you and your loved ones get the support you need.
1. Senior advocacy organizations
These governmental and non-profit organizations offer a full range of resources for seniors. These sites are great to start your search into a senior topic. Each of them has a ton of support articles and programs for seniors.
- National Council on Aging
- American Association of Retired Persons (AARP)
- Administration for Community Living
- National Association of Area Agencies on Aging
- National Institute on Aging
2. Senior housing
These next resources for seniors are specifically focused on housing. At these links, you’ll find senior housing programs, help finding housing and senior rights when it comes to housing.
- National Aging in Place Council
- Housing Choice Voucher Program
- National Directory of Home Modification and Repair Resources
- Village to Village Network
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development – Senior Citizens
3. Caregiving support
Caregiving is a priority topic for seniors. Whether you’re a caregiver or you’re looking for caregiving support or services, these resources for seniors will be of help.
- Family Caregiver Alliance
- Family Caregivers Online
- Caregiver Action Network
- National Family Caregiver Support Program
- AARP – Caregiving Center
4. Senior healthcare
Healthcare for seniors is a complex issue, especially since many U.S. programs are divided by state. Here you’ll find state-wide healthcare programs, specialized health initiatives and healthcare organizations that support senior needs.
- State Departments of Public Health
- State Health Insurance Assistance Programs
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- National Health Care Association
- Veterans Affairs Healthcare
- Health Finder
- Eldercare Locator
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- National Institute on Aging – Health Topics
5. Medicaid & Medicare
Medicaid and Medicare are the cornerstones of senior healthcare, though they’re difficult to understand. Here you’ll get an overview of these programs, plus some advocacy groups to help you navigate them.
6. Senior nutrition
Senior malnutrition and food insecurity are both common problems for seniors. To get meal help and nutritional guidance, here are some resources for seniors to get you started.
7. Senior medications
Medications are also essential to senior living. If you’re a senior who needs medication assistance, these organizations help seniors guarantee their medications.
8. Senior mental health
Elderly depression and suicide are more common than you may think. These resources for seniors work to reduce loneliness and provide mental health services as needed.
- Friendship Line
- Selfhelp’s Virtual Senior Center
- Disaster Distress Hotline
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- American Psychological Association
9. Senior legal rights
Seniors have rights – and these organizations ensure that seniors get the legal resources they need regarding justice, crime, guardianship, advance directives and elder abuse.
- Justice in Aging
- Elder Justice
- Law for Seniors
- Office for Victims of Crime – Crimes Against Older Adults
- National Guardianship Association
- MedlinePlus Advance Directives
- National Center on Elder Abuse
10. Senior finances
These organizations work to reduce senior poverty. If you need financial assistance with utilities, resources about retirement, tax assistance or other types of economic help, here’s a good place to start.
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
- National Older Worker Career Center
- Women’s Institute for a Secure Retirement
- Social Security Association Retirement Benefits
- Center for Retirement Research
- USA.gov Retirement
- AARP – Tax Aide
- Catholic Charities USA
11. Senior miscellaneous topics
Finally, in this miscellaneous section, you’ll find key resources for seniors, ranging from vaccines to technology and transportation.
- Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network
- Fall Prevention Center of Excellence
- Older Adults Technology Services
- AARP – Personal Technology
- Center for Disease Control – Physical Activity
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration – Older Drivers
- Office of Disability Employment Policy – Transportation
While we may be a bit biased, MyCaringPlan is a great go-to resource center for seniors. Here you can search for senior living options near you, plus articles about senior financial, legal and health information. It’s a great spot to start researching whatever senior topic is on your mind.
There you have it: our ultimate list of resources for seniors and caregivers. We hope you find what you’re looking for – and more! Be sure to check out MyCaringPlan’s resources for seniors as well. All the best!
- Resources for Senior Citizens and Their Families, National Library Service, https://www.loc.gov/nls/resources/general-resources-on-disabilities/resources-senior-citizens-families/
- Health Topics A-Z, National Institute on Aging, https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/topics