Finding the correct piece of medical equipment for your elderly loved one can be life-changing. Current technologies, when they are the best fit for the patient, allow for greater mobility and a generally more comfortable lifestyle. Unfortunately, not all families have the financial means to purchase such equipment, even when it is essential to their well-being. This is why rentals can be a great solution for many families and their seniors. This article will provide you with a general overview of medical equipment rentals and suggestions for companies you can rent from.
In addition to being more financially viable for many customers, renting equipment can be a great option if you would like to try out a piece of equipment before spending a large sum of money on it. Some companies even offer rent-to-own programs that allow customers to buy their rented equipment for cheaper once they have tried it out. Additionally, due to the ever-changing nature of our technology, it can be impossible to keep up with the best and the latest. Renting allows patients to upgrade to a new piece of equipment that better fits their needs.
Buying expensive equipment can also be stressful for families, creating unnecessary rifts between caregivers and other family members. Renting equipment such as hospital beds, and mobility devices can allow your elderly loved one to enjoy all of the benefits of the high-quality medical device without putting a financial strain on the family budget. Medical equipment rental companies may also offer on-site setup, repairs, in-person instructions on how to use it, and more.
What do medical equipment rental companies do?
Medical rental companies make it their mission to help patients stay as comfortable and independent as possible by providing them with durable devices. These companies usually offer a range of supplies that can include:
- Hospital beds
- Scooters, walkers, wheelchairs, and other mobility devices
- Personal care aides
- Oxygen equipment
- Lift seats
- Therapeutic footwear
If you find a medical equipment rental company locally – which is what we would suggest – you will see that they have purchased top-tier items from major manufacturers and are willing to rent it out for home use. Some companies will rent only to healthcare communities, non-profit organizations, teaching facilities, or rehabilitation homes. Most will be able to work with customers to make sure that they can use their medical insurance to purchase the appropriate item. So, you must see what fits your needs the best.
What medical equipment is commonly available for rent?
Most likely – and as you will see in our recommended list of medical equipment rental companies – different locations and sellers will have different specializations. Therefore, there will be differences in the equipment that each company offers to its clients. Still, there is some medical equipment that you will find more frequently. These items include:
- Mobility devices and especially wheelchairs – Wheelchairs may be the most commonly thought of mobility device but there is a range of other mobility items that patients can rent. If you have an elderly loved one who has been injured and is unable to walk – for example – renting them a scooter or a wheelchair can be the smartest choice since they will eventually heal and recover.
- Sleep therapy devices – In this category, you will find a variety of machines and equipment, including CPAP machines, TSDs, and MADs. These are all designed to help your elderly loved one sleep better – stop snoring, avoid sleep apnea, help with breathing, etc. Since there are so many options, trying a device out by renting it can work in your favor.
- Hospital beds – For many families, purchasing a hospital bed can be an impossible feat due to the costs, especially if you’d like to have one that is up-to-date and top-quality. When elderly loved ones are discharged from the hospital, they may require intensive care and a hospital bed. These devices have built-in features that make the lives of seniors and their caregivers easier and for those elderly who wish to remain in their home, renting a hospital bed can be the only option.
- Oxygen devices and respiratory therapy – If your elderly loved one has been prescribed oxygen therapy by their doctor and can remain at home to receive this treatment, oxygen therapy devices become necessary. There are many instances when your senior may only need respiratory-related pieces for the short-term. So, it’s much easier to simply rent.
- Would care – For caregivers who need to manage and care for a patient’s wounds while the senior is recovering, there are wound care management devices available. Renting, in this case, is ideal since the wound will heal and the device will only be needed for a certain amount of time.
Our suggestions for medical equipment rental companies
Now that you have a comprehensive understanding of how renting medical devices works, here are some of the best medical equipment rental companies that offer a variety of products to customers nationwide and locally.
Medcom Group has been specializing in medical equipment services since 1988, working with health care professionals to provide quality medical and rehab equipment. Today, they offer physical therapy equipment, rehabilitation supplies, and stellar customer service.
The Medcom team offers competitive pricing, has a comprehensive understanding of the machines they supply, help customers understand the equipment through in-service training, webinars, and teleconferencing, repair any machine that they supply, and foster lasting relationships with their customers through customer service.
Medcom products include CPM machines, sequential compression devices, lymphedema pumps, foot pumps, and cold therapy equipment.
Rotech is a medical device manufacturing company that operates across the United States, offering customers an array of products nationwide. They are a leader in respiratory and sleep apnea treatment, alongside home medical equipment. Through hundreds of locations nationwide, Rotech employees provide customer service and patient care locally.
The Rotech team includes respiratory clinicians, customer service representatives, patient service technicians, Medicare and insurance experts, and other top-quality healthcare professionals. Rotech offers homecare beds and accessories, wound care products, afflovest HFCWO therapy accessories, wheelchairs, walkers, and canes.
Lincare Holdings Inc has been working to set a new standard of excellence when it comes to transforming the way respiratory care is delivered in the home. Their goal is to enable seniors with chronic conditions to remain as independent and engaged in life as possible, allowing caregivers to have peace of mind.
Their products center around respiratory-therapy and services for those patients who are living at home. They have an extensive range of products and services as well as a disease management program that helps patients manage their conditions better.
Lincare offers resident-specific invoices, state-of-art equipment and supplies, preventative maintenance of facility owned equipment, clinical consulting services, and continuum of care options for facility discharges. They also employ experienced respiratory therapists, ensure consistent and timely product deliveries, have 24/7 availability and support, and national coverage!
Lincare’s product list includes:
- Oxygen and oxygen-related products
- Pressure support devices
- Respiratory equipment and supplies
- Other specialty items
- Medicare part B billed products
Gould’s Discount Medical was founded in 1993 and has grown to be one of the largest home medical equipment, supplies, and respiratory care companies in the U.S. They pride themselves on an extensive inventory of accessibility, mobility, and home health care equipment: ramps, elevators, wheelchairs, stairlifts, and more.
For patients with mobility, orthotics, bracing, accessibility, and other specialty home service needs, Gould offers tailored solutions with high-quality, professional customer care. Indeed, when it comes to their customer service, Gould has certified staff that guides patients through their health care issues and ensures better outcomes.
Customers in Kentucky and Indiana can rent wheelchairs, knee walkers, modular ramps, hospital beds, and more from Gould’s offices.
If you are located in New York, Homepro Medical Supplies can offer you short-and-long-term rentals of specialized healthcare equipment that makes your home as safe for your elderly loved one as possible. Homepro Medical’s products include:
- Manual and powered wheelchairs and scooters
- Wheelchair ramps and other accessories
- Adjustable beds and specialized mattresses
- Seat lifts
Homepro Medical also has options for white-glove delivery and set up at the senior’s home, one-to-one instructions on the proper use of the rental equipment, and free repairs.
We hope that this article has been successful in helping you determine what sort of medical equipment you require, why renting can be your best option, and which companies you can turn to for finding the perfect fit. We highly suggest that you utilize tools such as Medicare’s medical equipment supplier database or Rent It Today’s medical equipment searching tool. By doing so, you’ll be able to find local suppliers and companies based in your area that may be able to provide more personalized and tailored services.
- Medical Equipment Rental Industry, Ibis World, https://www.ibisworld.com/united-states/market-research-reports/medical-equipment-rental-industry/
- A Call to Go Green in Health Care, Gifty Kwakye, https://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/Fulltext/2010/03000/CommentaryA-Call-to-Go-Green-in-Health-Care-by.10.aspx
- Global Medical Equipment Rental and Leasing Industry, PR Newswire, https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-medical-equipment-rental-and-leasing-industry-300524001.html