Though it is rarely discussed, incontinence is an issue that the elderly struggle with quite often. As uncomfortable as the topic may be, it is important that caregivers research it and do whatever is necessary to make their elderly loved ones as comfortable as possible. There are several products you can purchase to ensure that your senior is taken care of when it comes to incontinence issues: diapers, pads, fitted briefs, or absorbent underwear. There are many options available for both men and women and picking the right product can be challenging since each senior has specific needs. In this article, we aim to provide you with all the necessary information about incontinence underwear and the best products on the market.
Aspects you should consider before purchasing
Because incontinence issues are so varied in symptoms and causes, each senior will have specific needs when it comes to incontinence products. For some seniors, this will be a consistent issue but others will only struggle with it when the bladder is under stress (during coughing, sneezing, etc.) This is why it’s important that whichever brand of incontinence underwear you decide to purchase, it meets your senior’s exact needs.
First and foremost, have a conversation with your senior and answer some vital questions:
- How sensitive is my senior’s skin and do I need to purchase a product that is specifically designed for sensitive skin? (For example, some products – like Attends incontinence underwear – are designed specifically to lower the urine pH and ensure that it does not irritate your skin).
- How comfortable is the product I am about to purchase?
- How often does incontinence bother my senior?
- Which underwear will be able to handle the volume of my senior’s incontinence best?
We also suggest that you try out several products, if possible. When you are trying the underwear out, it’s best that your senior stays at home to see if it works for them. This way, you can see how many times changes need to be made and whether or not leaks happen in a safe environment. Additionally, you’ll be able to see if the garment is too large or too small for you.
Features you should pay attention to
Although all of the items listed below are high-quality, there are some specific features you should pay attention to before purchasing incontinence underwear.
- Is it disposable or washable? – If you wish to take money and the environment into consideration, then this is an important aspect of the product.
- Is it pulled on or fastened? – Some seniors will find the pull-on type of incontinence underwear more secure, but others will want the fastened option for easier removal.
- Is it the size you need? – Usually, there are several sizes offered by one brand. You can choose whichever one best fits your senior’s requirements.
- How absorbent does it need to be? – There are different levels of absorbency and you can decide what is best for you.
- Does it have to be gender-specific or unisex? – There are both options on the market and this is all down to preference.
- Does it promise odor control?
- Is it moisture wicking?
- Will it reshape to fit the shape of the senior’s body?
Best incontinence underwear for women
Some of the best incontinence underwear products on the market are produced by the following companies:
- Because Market – Partnering with the Stanford Medical Center, Because Market offers customers new, cutting-edge products that attempt to simulate the feeling of underwear, rather than a diaper. Their underwear is made out of cotton-like material and provides great protection, as well as odor reduction. Customers have the choice between moderate, maximum, and overnight absorbencies and products can be delivered straight to your door. You can also take the Best Market proven fit quiz and see which product would be most fitting for your senior.
- Dry Direct – Dry Direct’s ultimate underwear line offers seniors the needed absorbency to ensure that fewer changes are needed each day. This also means fewer leaks and makes the everyday work of a caregiver much easier. This product is best for nighttime use and will help seniors sleep through the night significantly better. Dry Direct’s underwear has elastic leg cuffs, a soft cotton outer layer, breathable panels, odor control, and a unisex and pull-up underwear design.
- Lily Bird – These pads and underwear products are disposable and can be delivered directly to your home. Customers can also choose between five different absorbency levels and may also begin with a trial (with free shipping) that they can cancel at any time.
- Depend – Depend’s underwear for women is of maximum absorbency and provides the heaviest protection possible. It’s breathable, designed for a comfortable fit, and rustle-free for wearing underneath clothing.
- Unique Wellness – These products are award-winning and they promise to last for as long as eight hours. This means fewer changes and fewer leaks, giving caregivers and seniors the power to schedule when they would like to change.
- Northshore – Northshore also produces a pull-on line that promises users comfort, absorbency, and a great fit with extra coverage. This underwear is 100% waterproof, has extra waist elastics, and is designed to reduce bulk for wearers.
Best incontinence underwear for men
- Prevail – protective underwear made by Prevail is a great option for men. Its design includes a cloth-like fabric on the outside and frontal tabs that can be fastened, and it locks in moisture so that leaks and odors are contained.
- Attends – Advanced Protective Underwear by Attends is designed specifically for those seniors who move around during their day. It stretches to fit the wearer, is breathable, and fits like regular underwear – ensuring that it does not look bulky under clothing. Attends’ triple-tier moisture locking design ensures that you and your senior feel safe and comfortable throughout the day.
- Tena – Tena offers men a range of protective underwear that has super plus absorbency, protecting seniors against the most serious leaks. These are wider and enhance leakage protection through the most up-to-date designs.
- Tranquility – Tranquility’s Premium OverNight incontinence underwear is recommended for those adults that struggle with incontinence during the night and have to sacrifice their sleep for it. This product provides maximum protection against leaks and takes your senior’s sensitive or delicate skin into account.
Washable incontinence underwear
For those caregivers and seniors who wish to save money and benefit the planet, washable incontinence underwear can be a great choice. These are usually made of cotton or other non-plastic materials and feel like regular underwear. Here are some of your options if you are looking to invest in washable incontinence underwear:
- Wearever Women’s Super Incontinence Panties – These are twice as absorbent as other products on the market, providing users with a waterproof design that prevents leakage. There are no inserts or disposable pads, and the material is the same that you will find with regular underwear.
- Tena Comfort Pants -These comfort pants have elastic edges that ensure they fit both men and women perfectly. They last for up to 50 washes and come in a variety of colors.
- Petey’s Washable Incontinence Underwear for Men – These briefs ensure that neither caregiver nor senior has to worry about wet spots or leakage. It is entirely made out of cotton and the absorption pad is treated to destroy bacteria.
When purchasing incontinence underwear, consider what sort of needs your senior has. Be careful with sizing and make sure that you view the company’s sizing chart and recommendations (these will take your senior’s height, weight, and other details into account). Some seniors may not even need incontinence underwear, being satisfied with a liner or pad. Others may want the tabbed diaper that can be refastened or the pull-up design for ultimate comfort. Make sure that you discuss these topics with your senior and purchase something that can work for both them and you.