22 Moving Quotes to Help You Say Goodbye
When it’s time to say goodbye to someone we care about, it can be one of the hardest things we’ve ever done. These 22 moving quotes will help you express your feelings and make the process a little bit easier. When someone you love is nearing the end of their life, using these quotes can help you cope with the transition. We hope they provide some comfort and inspiration as you work through this tragic time.
Saying Goodbye: Death Quotes and How They Help
Saying goodbye to a loved one is almost always an emotional and difficult experience. Most people find that it is necessary to do so, however, in order for the process of healing to start. When finding a way to bid farewell, it is not uncommon for friends and family members to visit the cemetery or funeral home during the burial arrangements. Death often comes unexpectedly, so saying goodbye to a loved one after their passing may be the only way to experience a sense of closure.
During this visitation period at the funeral home, individuals usually make statements of love and remembrance before their final farewell. You can tell the deceased that you love them and let them know the lessons they’ve taught you in life. Expressing these positive memories can help you as you mourn because it allows you to focus on the cherished times you’ve shared with the departed. In this way, honoring a friend or family member with a touching goodbye in this manner can bring comfort even in a time of great sorrow.
One way you can start to process your grief is with quotes about death. These words have become popular because they’ve helped many people accept the reality of death. Some people prefer to read these quotes on their own and meditate on their meanings. Others may prefer to share them with others who are grieving. You may even choose to share an uplifting quote with the person who is dying as a way to discuss each other’s feelings.
Read through the following quotes to hear others’ perspectives on the subject of saying goodbye.
1. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” – Rumi
2. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” – Winnie the Pooh
3. “Don’t be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.” – Richard Bach
4. “Let your tears come. Let them water your soul.” – Eileen Mayhew
5. “Saying goodbye doesn’t mean anything. It’s the time we spent together that matters, not how we left it.” – Trey Parker
6. “Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” – Semisonic
7. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
8. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” – Paulo Coelho
9. “The hardest walk is walking alone, but it’s also the walk that makes you the strongest.” – Unknown
10. “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose… All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
11. “But fate ordains that dearest friends must part.” – Edward Young
12. “Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.” – J.M. Barrie
13. “A fact of life we all die. But the positive impact you have on others will be a living legacy.” – Catherine Pulsifer
14. “Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.” – Buddha
15. “We’ll meet again, don’t know where, don’t know when, but I know we’ll meet again some sunny day.” – Vera Lynn
Saying Goodbye to Someone Who Is Dying Quotes
There are many emotions at work when someone’s near death. While being present with someone in their final days can be a blessing, you will likely go through a range of intense emotions. You may feel fear for their depending death, anger at the situation, and sadness from grief. Surprisingly, you may even feel joy that you can spend those last moments with them.
It’s important to understand that it’s okay to express these feelings. Expressing these feelings can include telling the person you love them one last time or simply holding their hand in silence. No matter how you say goodbye, doing so can help bring some sort of closure and peace of mind knowing the person was not alone in their final moments.
Refer to the list below for some famous quotes about death as spoken by famous individuals throughout history.
16. “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.” – Mark Twain
17. “Death is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room.” – Henry Scott Holland
18. “I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.” – Winston Churchill
19. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
20. “Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because dawn has come.” – Rabindranath Tagore
21. “After your death, you will be what you were before your birth.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
22. “Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.” – Ernest Hemingway
We all must come to terms with the fact that we aren’t going to live forever. Unfortunately, we also have to face the fact that our friends and families won’t either. When it comes time to say goodbye to a loved one, there are many ways you can do so. A quote saying goodbye can help you verbalize those deep feelings you’re experiencing.
Best Sympathy Gifts For Loss Of A Father
Losing a loved one is always a difficult experience. Whether it’s a close family member or a close friend, the grieving process can be long and arduous. One way to show your support for someone during this difficult time is to send them a sympathy gift. While sympathy gifts can never take away the pain …
Funeral Poems for Mom
Losing a mother is an incredibly difficult and emotional experience. At a funeral or memorial service, many people find that reading or reciting a poem can be a powerful way to express their grief and honor their mother’s memory. Here are some funeral poems for Mom, including options for goodbye funeral poems from daughters and …
Providing Words of Comfort to Our Loved Ones
In times of grief and sadness, the right words of support can go a long way. Yet it can be hard to identify what those “right” words are when someone we love is struggling. Keep in mind that the most meaningful words of comfort strive to establish an emotional connection and provide genuine support to …
Why do they Cover the Legs in a Casket, and Other Questions About Open-Casket Funerals
Open-casket funerals allow family and friends to say their last goodbyes in an intimate setting. While these services can be difficult, the family may be able to process the loss better, knowing that the care that goes into preparing the deceased’s body is meticulous. By understanding the process behind preparing bodies for open-casket funerals, we …
Coping With Loss: Words of Comfort for Loss of Child
Losing a child is one of the most difficult losses to experience. It’s a heartbreaking reality that no parent should ever have to go through. And yet, even in the midst of this grief, it’s still possible to find words of comfort for loss of a child. In this blog post, you’ll learn from those …
Honoring a Lifetime of Memories: A Eulogy for Father
Losing a father can be one of the most difficult experiences in life. And when it comes to saying goodbye, delivering a eulogy can feel like an overwhelming task, one that many of us may not be prepared for. But, at the same time, it is an opportunity to honor your father’s memory and offer …